lee_hon_wai

Portable Windows To Go

Rating: 30 votes, 4.97 average.
Windows To Go (WTG) is a new feature in Windows 8 Enterprise Edition that enables USB drive with a complete, managed Windows 8 system image. This USB drive also known as "Windows To Go workspace" can be bootable from any Windows 7 or Windows 8 host computer. It will run a managed Windows 8 system without installing any software on the host computer.

I have extracted from Microsoft guide to show how simple to create such a USB drive. I follow the guide and created myself a USB 3.0 external harddisk (500GB) and boot it up on a Lenovo notebook. Just follow the 11 steps below.
The external case to house your 2.5" sata hard disk has to be a USB 3. My notebook does not have a USB port when I created WTG.

Creating a Windows To Go workspace

To create a Windows To Go workspace, use the Windows To Go creator provisioning tool. The provisioning tool is available from the Windows 8 Control Panel (Enterprise Edition only).
Use the provisioning tool to create the workspace

To create a Windows To Go workspace using the provisioning tool:

1. Ask your administrators to share a copy of the Windows OS installation image file (also known as a .WIM file) that you can copy to your DOWNLOADS library folder.

—OR—

2. Ask your administrators to provide a Windows OS installation image file in DVD-ready format (also known as a .ISO file), which you can copy to your DOWNLOADS library folder.

3. When the download is complete, open your Downloads folder on the host computer, press and hold (or right-click with the mouse) the Windows 8 installation image .ISO file, and then tap or click MOUNT ISO.
The .ISO file appears as a disk drive on your host computer.

4. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen (point to the upper-right corner of the screen with the mouse), tap or click the Settings charm, and then tap or click the Control Panel app to open the Control Panel. In the Control Panel, tap or click Windows To Go.

5. Insert a USB drive into a USB port on the host computer.
NOTE Make sure to remove any files on the USB drive that you want to save. The USB drive will be reformatted and all data will be deleted when you provision it.

6. In the Choose the drive you want to use screen, the provisioning tool displays any attached USB drives. Select the USB drive you want to use, and then tap or click Next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	82

7. In the Choose a Windows 8 image screen, the provisioning tool displays the mounted .ISO file. If you don’t see the .ISO file, tap or click Add search location to select the mounted .ISO file. Tap or click the file, and then tap or click Next.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	83

8. In the Set a BitLocker password (optional) screen, select the Use BitLocker with my Windows To Go workspace check box if you want to protect the drive with BitLocker® Drive Encryption, and follow the prompts to enter . and confirm a BitLocker password.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	84

NOTE To learn more about BitLocker, see the Protecting Your Data with Windows 8 BitLocker Work Smart Guide: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._External.docx

9. In the Ready to create your Windows to Go workspace screen, tap or click Create to create the Windows To Go workspace.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	85

The provisioning tool starts to prepare your USB drive. This typically takes less than one hour.

10. In the Choose a boot option screen, select a boot (startup) option. If you tap or click Yes, the Windows Boot Manager configuration will be modified to automatically boot from your Windows To Go device when it is connected to this host computer.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	86

NOTE If you want to change the boot option after running the wizard, in the Windows 8 Start screen, type Change Windows To Go Startup Options, tap or click Settings to change the search scope, and then tap or click the Change Windows To Go Startup Options app to open it.

11. When provisioning is complete, tap or click Save and restart to restart the host computer.

Links to videos demo

A. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../jj737992.aspx

B. http://beta.blogs.microsoft.co.il/bl...ows-to-go.aspx

I have upload to My SkyDrive to share the full guide. Please click on the link below to download.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b0bc4...E261510D90!345

Submit "Portable Windows To Go" to Twitter

Updated 25-02-2013 at 09:34 AM by lee_hon_wai

Tags: windows 8 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
ICT

Comments