lee_hon_wai

Dual Boot Windows 8 on Windows 7 Primary Host

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
You can now install Windows 8 Consumer Preview into a virtual hard disk (VHD) on your existing Windows 7 Host. Your system will dual boot in both Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows 7. You can also choose to install Windows 8 in Oracle VM VirtualBox.

To make this guide easier to read, I will separate it into 3 parts.

Part I
- Downloading Windows 8 which comes with a Product Key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J. You will be prompted during installation.

Part II - Creating a bootable USB stick using Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool This tool will help to create a bootable USB with any Windows operating systems (excluding Win XP).

Part III - Creating a virtual hard disk drive on existing Windows 7 OS and installing Windows 8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Boot Screen.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	66

Hi All,

I have upload to My SkyDrive to share the full guide. Please click on the link below to access the pdf guide.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=...J1031tJjOAaXss

Submit "Dual Boot Windows 8 on Windows 7 Primary Host" to Twitter

Updated 25-02-2013 at 06:22 PM by lee_hon_wai

Tags: windows 8 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
ICT

Comments

1. abdur_rahman_s_o_k_a_bahrudeen_shah's Avatar
    Thanks for installing Windows 8 on my system. It works so much faster than Vista and looks more sleek. However, some of my App icons on the start screen appear in Chinese characters. I will need help on this. Thank You.
    Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to experience Window 8. So far, it is working fine on my system. I have some feedback after using the new OS. Here are what I have encountered,
    1) In the folder, the file is deleted without a pop up asking for confirmation. The file is deleted once I have clicked delete. This is very dangerous if staff accidentally delete the file without even knowing.
    2) Regarding the dual Outlook account into one. Previously, under Window Vista and Outlook 2010, I can have 2 account in one Outlook. But now, after installed Window 8 and Outlook 2010, I can no longer have 2 accounts which I can see without logging out.
    3) One more thing, the app store doesn't has a search function. I need to go the specific category and view the app. It is not convenient as how do I know if MS app has that particular app that I am looking for.
    4) Create shortcut, I think the one setback about Window 8 is that it is difficult to create desktop shortcut. I have to go the program files and search for that particular application and create shortcut from there. If the staff does not know where to search for that application or does not recognise which is one correct one to create, then it will be a problem issue.

So far, these were the problem that I have encountered. Please see if these problem can be solved.

Thank you, Hon Wai.

Regards,
    Ricky
  3. abdur_rahman_s_o_k_a_bahrudeen_shah's Avatar
    Hi Hon wai, currently the "General Office Printer HP Laserjet 9050" on both my system and fairus system is set to LPT1 and thus does not print to the office printers. We can't change the port and configure ports also even though we have administrator rights. This might pose a problem when I need to add the other printers in the office to the admin staff's workstations. Please assist.
    My flexiben cannot be displayed on my IE browser in Windows 8. there is an error message.
    Error message: Browser must be either [Microsoft Internet Explorer] or [Netscape] with version 4 or higher.

Please help. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by er_swee_kee
    Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to experience Window 8. So far, it is working fine on my system. I have some feedback after using the new OS. Here are what I have encountered,
    1) In the folder, the file is deleted without a pop up asking for confirmation. The file is deleted once I have clicked delete. This is very dangerous if staff accidentally delete the file without even knowing.
    2) Regarding the dual Outlook account into one. Previously, under Window Vista and Outlook 2010, I can have 2 account in one Outlook. But now, after installed Window 8 and Outlook 2010, I can no longer have 2 accounts which I can see without logging out.
    3) One more thing, the app store doesn't has a search function. I need to go the specific category and view the app. It is not convenient as how do I know if MS app has that particular app that I am looking for.
    4) Create shortcut, I think the one setback about Window 8 is that it is difficult to create desktop shortcut. I have to go the program files and search for that particular application and create shortcut from there. If the staff does not know where to search for that application or does not recognise which is one correct one to create, then it will be a problem issue.

So far, these were the problem that I have encountered. Please see if these problem can be solved.

Thank you, Hon Wai.

Regards,
    Ricky
    2. Ans: U need to add your 2nd email account in Account Settings>Change Settings>More Settings>Advanced tap>Add button

image:
    https://profile.live.com/P.mvc#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B0BC45E261510D90&id=B0BC45E261510D90!148!cid= B0BC45E261510D90&id=B0BC45E261510D90!148

3. Ans: Hold down Windows Key & press Q key, Apps search will display on the top-right of your screen

4. Ans: Shortcuts can only be created on the taskbar and Start menu page. It is possible to save desktop shortcuts and would require some navigation to the exe file.
    Updated 19-09-2012 at 07:33 PM by lee_hon_wai
    Quote Originally Posted by radha_bai_d_o_thavarajoo
    My flexiben cannot be displayed on my IE browser in Windows 8. there is an error message.
    Error message: Browser must be either [Microsoft Internet Explorer] or [Netscape] with version 4 or higher.

Please help. Thank you.
    Ans: Open your portal in IE 10 in youe Win 8 OS, click on FlexiBen link.
    Hold down Shift key & press F12 Key to launch Developer Tools
    Change Browser Mode to IE9
    Close Developer Tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by abdur_rahman_s_o_k_a_bahrudeen_shah
    Thanks for installing Windows 8 on my system. It works so much faster than Vista and looks more sleek. However, some of my App icons on the start screen appear in Chinese characters. I will need help on this. Thank You.
    Ans: I have not resolved this....perhaps u can take up some Chinese lessons?
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_hon_wai
    Ans: Open your portal in IE 10 in youe Win 8 OS, click on FlexiBen link.
    Hold down Shift key & press F12 Key to launch Developer Tools
    Change Browser Mode to IE9
    Close Developer Tools.
    Hi Hon Wai,

Do we need to do this everytime we log into FlexiBen? Can it be resolved?
    Quote Originally Posted by er_swee_kee
    Hi Hon Wai,

Do we need to do this everytime we log into FlexiBen? Can it be resolved?
    I am sure they are working on it. MS revealed Windows 8 release date, 26 Oct 2012.
    Here are some shortcut for those who have installed Windows 8 Pro on none touch screen notebook or desktop.
    Please add on more if i miss out any. Thanks.

Desktop
    Win Key+D: Open Desktop
    Win Key+E: Computer Explorer

Win Key+B: Back to desktop

Win Key+X: Open system utility settings menu

Win Key+PrntScrn: Take screenshot and save to Pictures

Win Key+T: Preview open Win Keydows in taskbar
    Win Key+U: Open Ease of Access Center

Win Key+Enter: Open Windows Narrator
    Win Key+R: Run

Windows Apps
    Win Key+Z: Get to app options